We learned via SEAustraila that anyone who wishes to feel empowered again and learn about "their body’s natural ability to calm itself after strong feelings or activation caused by a situation they perceive as being stressful or threatening" can benefit from somatic healing.
The article stated that somatic healing can be helpful for both adults and children who have experienced traumatic experiences or stress. They stated that, "A traumatic event is an experience that causes physical, emotional or psychological distress, or harm. It is an event that is perceived and experienced as a threat to one’s safety or to the stability of one’s world."
SEAustraila listed these experiences in which individuals may benefit from somatic healing:
- Physical trauma as in car accidents, whiplash, sporting accidents, high impact falls
- Surgeries, medical interventions, prolonged illnesses, high fever, poisoning
- Inescapable attack, mugging, threat of violence, abuse of any kind, rape, incest
- Drowning, suffocation or choking experiences
- Unrelenting stress, work, bereavement, divorce, loss of a loved one or a pet
- Emotional and domestic abuse, bullying
- Development trauma such as childhood neglect, abandonment or betrayal
- Birth trauma, pre and peri-natal experiences
- War or conflict, torture, terrorism
- Natural disasters, fires, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis,
- Horror, being a witness to any of the above
If we have no support in healing these traumatic experiences, the article stated that "We may stay either in a state of high arousal, reacting adversely to the slightest sound or movement and being hyperactive, or we may move into a state of shutdown and depression."
Somatic healing provides the benefit to heal from these traumatic experiences or stress. If you're interested in learning more, check out our Somatic Therapist & Healer, Sue Kuyper. She provides somatic healing for individuals, couples and groups in English and Spanish with a specialty in serving social justice activists and community workers. The work is centered in generative somatics, a politicized body-based form of transformation and embodiment.